Monday, September 4, 2017

September 3, 2017 Food and family

 September 3, 2017

I like our new spot.  There is lots of dirt to roll around in.  I roll and scratch.  This is fun.  Time to go inside and sleep though.



Today, we chose to do nothing.  How often does that happen?  We thought about going up the Sandia Peak Tram…  we were told that it is not the thing to do on a holiday weekend.  Oh yeah, forgot about that.

I took my morning walk around the Jemez Pueblo.  We are right next to the Rio Grande.  The pueblo dates back about 500 years.  Then we got serious…  RUMMIKUB!  I let Spouse win a game!  What was I thinking!  But I won it back… and I got him holding some points!  YES!  To be continued…

We did some grocery shopping in anticipation of my nephew and his family visiting.    We also filled our empty propane tank.  Spouse agonized over paying more for getting the tank filled than we would when we got to Farmington.  But we needed it for our barbecue tonite, so he had to bite the bullet.  I am surprised that he did not writhe in pain!   We will light the fire pit and make s’mores.  And we will set up the cots and sleep outside.  It has been warm, but not hot.  We have needed the air conditioner inside though.
 
Spouse cooked the caribou, some salmon and some halibut that our friends gave us.  None of us had eaten caribou before and it was quite good.  It was lean and tasted like steak.  I am not much of a meat person, but I liked it.  Maybe it was the hatch chiles that we roasted and put on the same plate.  I REALLY liked them.  It is the season for them and people buy them by the 25 pound bag and have them roasted.  We may have to get some when we get to Farmington.  I don’t know where we would put a 25 pound bag of peppers, but the couple next to us came here from Phoenix specifically for them.  They had at least 60 pounds of them!

As we ate, the skies grew dark and ominous.  Spouse had showed Hayden and Ellie how to make kindling from solid pieces of wood.  They had fun with that.  By the time Spouse lit the fire, the wind was really blowing.  We had to rescue one of our chairs that blew into the fire, but weather be damned!  The kids are going to have s’mores!  And that they did!  We did get a few sprinkles on us, but the rain pretty much stayed away.  The lightening show was quite nice.













Bob, Hayden and I slept outside in the cabana.  The clouds parted and the moon was really bright.  Good thing the cabana provided some darkness.  I wanted to tell ghost stories, but Bob didn’t recommend that!  Jen, Ellie and Spouse slept inside.  Rudy was quite overwhelmed with all the activity.  He hugged his daddy all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment