Sunday, July 14, 2013

July 13: Golf: Is it meters or yards?


July 13, 2013:  Golf... Is it meters or yards?

I am one HOT cat!  Meow!  Just look at me.  My coat is shiny.  My wound is pretty much healed.  Not sure if the fur will grow back, but if not, it will just add to my roguish charm.  My energy is back.  Didn't realize that stupid wound was taking me-ow down, but now... sizzling!  Move over Johnny Depp, there's a new hep cat in town.  MEOW!

Last night, we played some dice.  Annoy-o-boy was turbo charged.  He whined when he was losing, over gloated when he was winning, and he would willingly cheat if he thought he could get away with it.  Does somebody want him?  PLEASE????

Today was a day to not do much.  Since we are playing golf tonite,  we hung around.  We went to Starbucks for internet access, checked out this, looked at that.  Went to RedBox and rented a movie.  Spouse hooked up the generator so we could use the TV.  He has the generator behind a tree on the ground and it is very quiet.

Then we went for our treat... golf at the Stanley Thompson Eighteen. It is a cool day, in the 60's.  There are clouds, maybe looking like a little rain but it is not in the forecast.  So here we go.   I know not all of you are golfers, but I must talk about just a few things on this course.  First of all, every hole is scenic eye candy.  Mountains here, rivers there, the views go on and on.  The Banff Springs Hotel stands regally over a few of the holes.  Every hole has a hazard off the tee.  If you blow your tee shot, you are in unplayable grass.  It got me once, and Spouse a couple of times, but overall, we were driving well so we didn't pay too much of a price.  Lots of bunkers in some of the stupidest places!

 There are two holes of significance.  One is the Devils Cauldron.  It is a par 3.  For men, it is about 160 over a lake to a green surrounded by bunkers.  Spouse made it over the water into one of the bunkers.  For the women, it is 79 yards over the water.  The problem is that the tee box hadn't been mowed in weeks!  For this hole, I would have used an 8 iron, and teed it just a hair off the grass.  But since the grass was so tall, I couldn't do it.  I figured the grass was going to eat my club so I went to a 7 iron.  The grass ate my club and I was in the same bunker as Spouse.  The bunker was not kind.  It took me two to get out and Spouse 3.  Bad bunker...  Apparently, this hole is known as the worst hole in Canada!

The other hole of significance is 15.  I walked the course, but they suggested that Spouse tow me to the tee box on this one.  It is down the road, over a bridge that spans the Spray River, then around and up.  From the tee box, we actually have to hit over the Spray River.  This is no teensy river.  People are rafting it!  If we screw up, somebody might get bopped!  Plus, there is a restaurant right behind the tee box so you have a gallery watching you!  Spouse went first and whacked it over the river and down the fairway.  Then my turn... Whack!  Over the river and down the fairway.  I turned to the restaurant patrons and made them applaud our great drives!  They loved us, I know!

As we started the 18th hole, the mosquitoes were starting to swarm.  It was about 9:00 pm, and we probably could have played another 9 with the light remaining.  But the mosquitoes would call that a feast!  We were happy to have had such a great opportunity.

We then went into the club house and showered.  Tee hee!  It was great to have a break from Annoy-O-Boy.  (He went to a movie).  I could go on about more of his oblivions and other antics, but another time...  I want to revel in my golf high...  Oh, scores... Mine was 108 - and I would have made a lot of different decisions if I knew the course.  Spouse had 124.  He was actually hitting the ball quite well.  He got eaten up on a few holes though.  And the answer is 'yards'.  







 

No comments:

Post a Comment