Friday, July 26, 2013

July 26: We are tainted!


July 26, 2013

I know my captors hide stuff under the rugs.  Therefore, it is my mission to keep turning them so that I can see what is there.  No rug may lay flat on my watch.

Crew:  Hey Doug, you left the barbecue on all night...

 Last night, we stayed in the town of Brookings at the AtRivers Edge campground.  And it is right on the river.  We picked lots of wild blackberries and meandered along the river.  My morning walk took me along the road that follows the river.  Slower did a walk there too.  Slow sat on his ass once again.  His muscles must be atrophying!

Once again, we readied Hannah for the road.   Since we are travelling daily now, I am sure my butt is growing!  South on 101 leaving Oregon and crossing into California.  I am driving this leg.. on winding roads... narrow at spots... with road construction...  I think Spouse was more nervous than me!  The road gets foggy and we are nearing the ocean again, and what is that?  A huge herd of elk right on the beach!

 I pull over and give Spouse permission to drive!  We count 4 males and a whole lot of females and young'uns, totally unaffected by the people stopping to admire them.  It is cold, brrr!  After a quick lunch, with Spouse driving, we continue on till we hit 299 east, towards Redding.

 We figured we would go along the Trinity River.  As we head east, after 3 miles it is 75 degrees.  A minute later, it is 100.  There are woods, then the river comes in to view.  I realized, I am ruined.  This piddly-assed river is supposed to be beautiful?  After where we have been, this is just so ordinary!   At one point, we stop and walk down to the river.  It feels good.  Spouse goes for a skinny dip.  I don't want to shock the nephew so I limit myself to the level of my shorts!  There are sandbars, and rocks, but it is sooo ordinary.  And it is hot!  We see a few rafters, but the water level is pretty low so I would imagine it was not a whole lot of fun.  As we got close to Redding, we see the Whiskey Creek which is big.  Looks a lot nicer with water skiing and people actually able to use the water to have fun!

When we got to Redding, it was 107.  Spouse refilled the propane tank and we found a site.  We have stayed at this park a couple of years ago and it is right on the Sacramento River.  Tomorrow, we head to Rick and Sue's in Grass Valley.  Not sure I will blog after this.  We will probably head home on Monday.

Good thing we have air conditioning...  Poor Rudy didn't even finish his food!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment