Thursday, July 25, 2013

July 24: Going nowhere fast


July 24, 2013

 I know they are up there.  If I stretch real tall, I am sure I can get one of them.  Let me stand on Mom's pillow.  Ok, I have my claws wrapped around the edge of the shelf.  If I can just reach and feel, maybe I can get one.  Aha!  I got one!  Oh no... here is Mom.   I will try again.  I must investigate and I will not be thwarted...

When I went to bed last night, I found one of my earplugs off the shelf and on the bed.  Rudy has been after them, little devil.  This morning, I awoke to drizzle.  I could see water dripping off Hannah.  I guess I will walk later.

 We readied Hannah and continued south on 101.  The highway is kind of like driving Pacific Coast Highway.  Sometimes you see the ocean.  Sometimes you see little beach houses.  Then you see strip malls.  You go 55, you go 25.  Spouse stops for one of those.  Spouse stops for one of these.  Oh, Spouse stops for that.  Combine Spouses 'squirrel-ism' and the nature of the highway, 3 hours later we have gone about 70 miles!  We see a Thai place and stop for lunch.  We had to park down the street and walk up.  It was cold and the wind was fierce.  You can see whitecaps on the ocean.  Here it is the middle of summer, and I could easily be wearing my ski jacket!  Fog has been drifting in and out.  Brrrrr...

 Lunch was great, and we continue on.   I see lots of driftwood I would love to paw through but no easy access towing Hannah.

After all of about 120 miles, we settle on an RV park just south of the town of Florence.  We have a woodsy site with full hook ups and a fire ring.  Every RV park should have sites like this (although WIFI would be nice!). 

 There are sand dunes and a lake right here.  We hike over to the dunes.  I take off my shoes.  The sand is soft and almost sensual.  We channel our inner camels and hike up the dune.  We step up a foot, slide back 6 inches.  Up and back, feel those calves!  Lawrence of Arabia has nothing on us!  People are sandboarding down the dunes.    A chair lift would be good.  Sandboarding looks like lots of fun but by the time we would unhook and get to town, the rental places would be closed.  Probably a good time for a smart phone...  It is cold and the winds are strong.  I think they call these winds scirrocos (at least when you are in the Sahara)?  Alan, please correct me?  And we would be freezing our behinds off anyway.

 When I get back to Hannah, I notice two earplugs on the bed.  Rudy has been busy...

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment