Monday, November 13, 2023

 

Monday, November 6, 2023 – Leaving Lake Powell

If I crouch down, I can see my human’s paw under the door in her potty room.  Let me reach out to her.  I know she will let me in.

My morning walk took my down the road.  Near the launchramp, I walked out onto a promontory overlooking the lake.  Down this way, just 60 miles, is Wahweap.  I then walked the road to the Marina cutoff.  Back to listening to me podcasts.  When I got back, we got ready to move on.



Rudy has been obsessed with our bathroom.  I could be on the toilet and his paw is reaching under the door.  I let him in and he jumps on the sink and expects we to put water in it for him.  Of course I do…

Now we get to retrace our steps back to Blanding.  Our GPS is not cooperating.  Seems it cannot acquire its satellite.  Oy..  We have paper maps which will do for now. Some of the road is so boring, but other parts are quite pretty.  Based on the trees, you can tell there is a creak following the red rock outcroppings.  They still have some green, but they are starting to turn yellow.  There is open rangeland, so we have to slow for the cows now and again.  After 60 miles on Hwy. 276, we hit Hwy. 95.  We have yet to see one other car.  From that point about 40 miles to Hwy. 191, we saw about 5 cars. 

There is a fly inside the truck.  I have named it Marty McFly.  We must get rid of him…  Rudy is totally disinterested, worthless furball!



We head a few miles up to Blanding to fill our propane tank.  Living off the grid and using our generator does burn some propane.  While there, I was able to get Marty McFly out!  We fueled up, bought a few groceries and started south.

Our ultimate goal is to go to the Grand Canyon.  Whether we get there today is another thing.  We take Hwy. 191 south to Hwy. 163.  Lots of mesas and buttes.  Some of it is pretty, some of it is boring.  We decided to get reservations in the RV park at the Grand Canyon starting tomorrow.  I begged the guy to get it all down quick as we were headed into ‘no cell’ territory.  As he tried to give me my confirmation, we lost him…  Bwahaa!  We got a confirmation.

It is a bit windy.  We see desert sands creeping across the road.  At one point, we thought we would stop at a little spot west of Kayenta.  There is an old hotel, and across the street is a nice pullout.  We have stopped there for lunch a few times.  But when we got there, the hotel is gone and there is a sky high pile of gravel in the pullout.  So much for that idea!  We continued to Tuba City, then turned south on Hwy. 89.  It’s about 4 pm, and normally, we are off the road by 3.  But we figured it’s just a short jaunt to Hwy. 64, which will take us to the Big Ditch and we will pull over somewhere there.  And that is exactly what we did.  Found a nice pullout by some Indian Trading Posts that were vacant, and we set up for the night.

It is a bit windy, but we had a nice view.  Let me correct this… it is crazy windy.  Oh my, this is going to be one hell of a night…

No comments:

Post a Comment