Friday, June 4, 2010

June 3, 2010 - More Bryce


June 3, 2010


I love the smell of campfire in my hair! The nights have been quite cool, which makes it nice for sleeping. And the winds brush through the trees creating a lullaby rocking us to sleep. We woke refreshed. I decided to forgo my normal powerwalk since I planned on hiking today, in favor of going with Spouse and Bart for a stroll. Then, came back and began preparing for my hike.


With Spouse unable to walk, I would be on my own. I made myself a sandwich, then started taking this from here, that from there… but what is this? EUREKA! In my waistpack… it’s my… SWISS army knife that has been missing for almost 2 years! How can that be? This waistpack goes with me to the gym, on powerwalks. I have been searching for it for so long! Spouse even bought me a new one for Christmas! I had purchased my original in Oberammergau, Germany on 2/14/82 as a Valentines gift for myself. Now it is back, and I have 2 of them! I finished packing my backpack. Wearing short sleeves for heat, long sleeves for cold, and zip off pant leg cargo pants, I was ready.


Spouse took me to Sunrise Point and my day began. The weather is a little warm so off with sleeves, and pant legs. I started on the Queens Garden trail. With a 320 foot descent, which felt like it was in the first hundred feet, I started passing the pinnacles up close and personal. Some people think going downhill is easy. It isn’t! It is hard on the knees and the toes (good thing I cut my toenails this morning!). Going uphill taxes the heart, lungs, quads and gluts, but both take their toll.


Queens Garden is probably the most popular trail in Bryce, and there were lots of people, but it still wasn’t crowded. With each turn, another photo op presented itself. The red spires and hoodoos guide hikers along the trail. Every time I put my camera away, I thought why? I just need it in a few more seconds! Unfortunately, my camera died. I was having trouble getting it to turn on (I guess I have lost my touch!), then I dropped it. It worked after that, but then stopped working, so now I will have to try and paint the picture of the rest of the hike with my words.


The trail twisted and turned and eventually landed on the valley floor, where the pine trees and scrub meet the rocks. When I got to the Navajo trail, I stopped on a log and ate half my sandwich, while trying to kick start the camera, which essentially told me to drop dead! I started up the Navajo trail. I need to convey that when I say ‘up’, I mean UP! The beauty of the Navajo Trail is that it takes you into a narrow canyon. Picture this… the entrance is about 15 feet wide or so. The red rock stretches up a couple of hundred feet on both sides, with hoodoos and spires watching from above. The trail is serpentine, passing a pine tree that has virtually no horizontal limbs for about 70 feet. The canyon opens up to about 30 or 40 feet, and I pass another couple of unique pine trees. Then the switchback trail begins. The canyon walls open up to about 70 or 80 feet wide, and because it is so narrow, the switchback trail looks like an ampitheatre. Up I climb, cursing my dead camera. After clearing the canyon, the climb continued past countless breathtaking vistas. I couldn’t believe the number of people hiking in thongs, or flip-flops.


When I got to the top, I didn’t want to be done, so I continued up the rim trail for another couple of miles to Inspiration Point, then on to Bryce Point. Notice I said ‘UP’ again! The Rim Trail follows along the rim with stunning views on the one side. On the other side, the terrain varies. For the most part, it consists of ponderosa pines, Douglas firs, spruce, and the occasional gnarly bristlecone pine. The floor is lined with Manzanita and other scrub. There was one spot where the trail was about 8 feet wide, with sheer drops on both sides. That was a little dizzying!
When I got to Bryce Point, I went to the park’s vista point which jutted out quite a bit. Not only were their views in front, but to the left, right and behind, where a row of interesting grottos lined the upper edge of the red rock walls. I finished my sandwich under this sensory overload, then hopped on the shuttle back home.


Spouse tried to get the camera to work, but alas, it is done. Maybe when we get to Farmington, we will get another. Until then… no pix! While I was busy hiking, Spouse went bike riding. His trash find du jour is a door mat with a calico rooster on it for the outside. He is such a trash monkey! We will be the envy of everybody at all the RV parks!


Spouse cooked another tasty dinner. He has done virtually all of the cooking. I think he likes the ease at which he can cook in Hannah. I like that he likes that! My style of cooking normally requires lengthy simmering, which is not conducive to Hannah. I better think of some new recipes.


Have had trouble getting online, but at least I can watch the Laker game. Can’t seem to get the Dodgers though. But hey, I am camping… Off to the campfire…

No comments:

Post a Comment