Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Uh oh

August 26, 2015

Ha ha!  My paternal human took me off the leash to let me wander through the trees.  Then when he went  to catch me, I stayed out of reach.  Then the maternal human came and I did it some more.  Uh oh...  I am kind of far from home.  I will let her catch me but I will act like I am irritated.  Meow!

Uh oh...  I don't like the way Rudy is sniffing around the reclining chair.  Looks like he is on rodent patrol.  Spouse set a trap.  We shall see... 

Uh oh...  Spouse left his credit card back at the last RV park.  Discover canceled it when the RV park reported it had been left.  Good thing mine is still ok.  Good thing we also have another credit card.

Uh oh... no fish are hitting and nowhere to walk.  It was nice seeing the beaver swimming up the river, but let's hit the road towards the town of Salmon, the birthplace of Sacajawea.  We had let Rudy off the leash to wander through the thick brush.  He played a cat and mouse game when we tried to get him.  He is grounded for the time being.




Uh oh... the pin that lifts and lowers Hannah to the truck broke again!  It breaks every year, usually in Canada, so since we were not going to Canada, we thought we were off the hook.  This will become a pain in the behind.

Since we left the O'brien campground, we have been following the Salmon River as it snakes through its valley.  The valley has been somewhat consistent; meadows, pastures, riparian flora and such.  The mountains have been changing a lot.  We went from rugged rocky fir forested peaks, to Nevada brown desert scrub, some with firs at the top and between the mountains.  Then there are some red rocky bluffs, then some more brown grassy mountains.  It is definitely more arid here, and less cold at night, maybe into the 40's.  The contrast between the valley and the mountains is quite beautiful.  Every turn inspires an ooh or an aah.  We checked out a few of the places we could camp. Deer gave us some stink eye.  We continued on. 

Salmon is a fair sized town, bigger than we expected.  It has a few traffic lights, a Burger King and a Subway, lots of commerce, even a few car dealers.  We just eat and fuel up then head north to North Fork and the River's Fork Lodge.  The owner used to live near us.  It is a small lodge, maybe 8 rooms, not sure.  Only 8 RV spaces and they back up to the Salmon River.  It is a warm day, good to be at an RV park so we can use the air conditioner.  There was a folding chair near the trash.  We picked it up for Rudy.  He appreciates it!  He found the weirdest worm critter outside.  Our neighbor said to use it as bait.  Spouse chose not to!  Our neighbor caught 4 trout this morning...  this sounds good! 





Spouse and I did some preparation before we started to fish.  We tied some lines.  What a pain in the behind.  First we tie some 4 or 6 pound test line to a swivel.  Wrap it around several times before you thread the end thru.  DON'T pull the end thru unless you actually put it thru the loop, otherwise, you get to do it all over again.  Ask me how I know...   then you get to tie 2 pound test to the swivel.  2 pound test is like a newborn baby's hair; extremely fine, difficult to see and difficult to maneuver.  You get to wrap the line around several times and hope you get the end thru the hoop.  Then you get to do the same thing to attach the hook.    You have a different hook for worms than you do for salmon eggs.  So you have to have a variety of lines prepared, because in river fishing, YOU WILL SNAG YOUR LINE!  Ask me how I know...

River fishing offers all sorts of challenges.  First the casting... cast it way out there and let the current take it to whichever rock will eat it.  That is if you can cast it without a shore plant eating it on the way out.  At least those, you can recover.  Although, when you tug, don't be surprised that the line snaps back and flings the worm in your hair.  When the rock eats your line, you can wade out there (the water is cool but refreshing since it has been warm), but watch those mossy rocks, and get the camera out of your pocket.  Sometimes, you can get the line out intact.  Other times, your neighbor will help.  Other times, you are just screwed and get to use up one of the precious lines you tied earlier.  Then you get to do it all over again.  Spouse and I both caught some bull trouts, but you have to let those go.  I keep thinking about those beautiful rainbows we released back at O'brien...  As the rocks ate, Spouse realized we do not have enough gear and ran to the store. 



With my broken line, I sat down and tied another swivel, messed with that stupid 2 pound test and tied a hook.  Now, I am going to have to put a worm on my hook myself as Spouse was gone.  I pulled one out... it wiggled, I squirmed.  I put my big girl panties on and put the worm on the hook.  It wiggled more when I started.  I squirmed more.  I know I did not do a great job, but it was on the hook.  I cast out far... the current took it right to that friggin' rock.  THE ROCK ATE IT!  I snapped the line a said a whole lot of four letter words!


Uh oh...  I need some chocolate...

No comments:

Post a Comment