Friday, August 21, 2015

Will we get to the lava fields? Will we get home before dark?


August 20, 2015

Where are my humans?  They have been gone forever!  I am hungry.  Lemme sleep.  Where are my humans?  Am I gonna be mad at them.  I am hungry.  Did they forget me?  I will be sooooo mad.  Oh wait!  Is that them?  Here they are!  Here I am?  Be mad... I can't!  My purr box is betraying me!  Look at me!  I am hungry!  purrrrrrrrr!

What is the past tense for the word 'forgo'?  Today I chose to forgo my morning walk.  Was it forgone?  Forwent?  Forgoed?  Anyhow, it is a rare day that I don't walk in the morning.  We wanted to hit the road early.  Our goal was to go down to the Craters of the Moon lava fields.  They are about 100 miles from here.  We chose to do it in a loop, hwy 21 to 75 north to Challis.  Then turn south on 93 to 20, then back to 75 north.  Easy as pie, right?

We pass through the small town of Stanley and turn on to 75.  The Salmon River immediately comes into view.  Rugged mountains on the left and the right and the river in between makes for some pretty nice eye candy.  At one point, we see steam coming off the river.  We pull over and sure enough, there are hot springs right there off the road for anyone to use.  It is cold outside but the water is HOT!  You actually have to move closer to the frigid river to enjoy the warmth.  Note to self:  we will be coming this way when we leave Stanley...  have bathing suit ready.  Will we ever make it to the lava fields?








Continuing north, hey!  Look at that little trail.    We stop, and walk along a little hiking trail along the river.  (I knew I would get my walking in at some point...). Will we ever make it to the lava fields?




Oh, look at those campgrounds, let's go check them out.  Good thing we don't have Hannah with us or we would be backing up for the next decade.  Will we ever make it to the lava fields?

Oh, that sign says Bayhorse ghost town.  Next thing I know is the truck is turning down a dirt road.  Bayhorse was a mining town in the 1800's, early 1900's.  Mainly silver, but some other stuff too.  As with many gold rush type towns, they live their life then die.  Will we ever make it to the lava fields?






We finally get to 93 and turn south.  We leave the Salmon River behind.  Here we have smaller brown grassy mountains with cattle ranches.  Creeks meander through the ranches.  It is pretty.  We thought there would be somewhere along the way to stop for lunch, but not so far.  We ultimately make it to the town of Mackay.  We have a wide selection from which to choose... a burger joint.  Spouse had a burger, I ate a couple of his french fries.  That would have to do as, for me, there was nothing really edible in the town.  But it was a REAL burger joint from days of yore.  I guess I could have gotten a malt...  Will we ever make it to the lava fields?  It is nearly 2pm by now and we still have a ways to go.

Continuing on 93, we finally hit 20 and turn.  It was nearly 2:30 when we finally got to the lava fields.  They have a loop road going through the park, and you can hike at the various points of interest, which we did.  They have done a fabulous job of blending the walking paths into the black tagalite/basalt lava flows.    I love how the trees have started growing in the lava.  They are twisted from the winds, and stunted from the lava.  There are so many interesting shapes.  We hiked, we checked out lava tubes, we hiked some more.  It is an interesting place, and we are glad we came to see it. 








But now I am hungry.  It is after 5.  Will we make it home in daylight?  We head back to 20.  Our GPS takes us on a nice shortcut through farms and meadows.  We get to the land of Hailey and stop for dinner.  Spouse keeps talking about Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, since this is their home.  Like I care?  I am surprised he cares!

Continuing north on 75, we pass through the adorable town of Ketchum.  We had stayed here a gazillion years ago when skiing Sun Valley.  It is far more upscale and artsy now.  Fortunately, as the sun is slowly setting, we have a clear road for booking it towards home.  The mountains are phenomenal.  There are meadows and streams.  We do have to wait for some deer to cross the road.  The danger of travelling at dusk is that a deer will jump right in front of you.  We climb one summit only to see more meadows and streams and mountains on the other side.  We got back to Hannah at 8:30, with just enough light to give Rudy a little walk outside.    He was lonely, no doubt about it!

Tomorrow, we plan on hiking up to Sawtooth Lake.  It is a rugged 5 mile hike.  Spouse is busy gathering all of the apocalypse tools to pack in our backpacks.  No dear, one rain pancho is enough and they are not calling for rain...  Long day...


Oh, one more thing, it is STILL smoky!  But I did see some blue sky if I looked straight up...

No comments:

Post a Comment