Friday, June 18, 2021

June 16, 2021 Top of the Stone

June 16, 2021

There are CRITTERS here!  I love it!  Look at that tail wag…  I will get you if my humans let me go free!

 

This morning, we decided to hike the trail that goes to the top of Stone Mountain.  It is about a mile up with a 900 foot climb.  On the drive over, we see some deer, with those cute little faces.  The trail is stone, how surprising.  But it is also dotted with pines.  The temperature is about 70 degrees so it is really quite comfortable.  And we do not have the humidity that we had on the coast. 












It is a gradual climb over large wide rocks.  There are lots of people out and about and it is only 7 am.  Some are racing up, but we go slow and steady.  As we near the top, it gets steeper and you are walking on granite stone, not stones.  Many people have carved their name in the stone.  The earliest we saw was 1876, but we saw several in the 1800’s as well as the 1900’s.

At the top, the views are amazing.  You can see Atlanta in the distance and all the greenery.  It is a little cooler and a bit breezy but totally comfortable.  Spouse has his binoculars, or you can pay to use the viewing glasses up there.  One thing we found out, everything you do here will cost you!  Want to go into the historic square and look at the homes of the period?  $15.  And when you have already seen so many things like that, no need to do it again. Some of the exhibits were closed but they probably cost too.  But up here, the views are free!  We wandered around then headed back down.

Back at Hannah, we gave Rudy some outdoor time.  He had his eyes on a squirrel.  He wanted it badly, but we keep him on a leash, much to his dismay.

After relaxing a bit, I loaded the golf clubs in the truck, and I headed to the golf courses at Stone Mountain.  Spouse stayed behind so I was all by myself… on a really nice golf course.  There are two courses and I played the Lakemont course.  I like playing by myself… kind of.  I tend to rush for no good reason.  When I played through a twosome, fortunately, I looked like I knew what I was doing and hit a good shot.  Not so much with the next twosome, but what can you expect.  I had to take a cart, and if I didn’t I probably would still be walking between hole 9 and 10!




  It was a beautiful course in good condition and with lots of challenges.  I shot 104, and I was proud of it!  If I had course knowledge, as usual, I would have done a few things differently, but oh well!  I played the entire round in just less than 3 hours, which is amazing!  The weather was in the 80’s and totally comfortable.  We have been lucking out so far.

Back at Hannah…  we get ready to push west.  Tomorrow, we should cross into the central time zone and get one of our precious hours back!





No comments:

Post a Comment