Saturday, June 5, 2021

June 5, 2021 Fun with Back roads

June 5, 2021

I like to lay on my humans.  Either one will do.  On my paternal human, I stretch out all the way.  On my maternal human, I am more likely to curl up and bend my paws. Bending my paws is a sure way to get what I want.

Just a few clouds this morning, otherwise sunny.  It is cool and great for walking.  The road to Timberlake RV Park is a rural road  through farms, ranches and sparsely placed homes.  It is really quite pretty.  There is no shoulder so it isn’t ideal for walking, but this is not a road people travel unless they have to so very few cars pass this way.  Spouse started with me, then I finished on my own.  I saw a house with a sense of humor based on the sign they had out front…





Back at Hannah, we cleaned up and readied her for the next leg of our journey.  It was recommended that we take the Blue Ridge Parkway over to I 26.  It is a scenic drive and it will bypass some of the roads with construction going on.  We pick up the Parkway right inside the Smokey Mountain National Park.  It is a pretty drive with lots of trees and views.  There is a tunnel with gazillions of trees on it, then another.  Then another…  oh no… it says the clearance is 12’4’.  We are 12’9”.  Spouse used his Fred Flintstone feet and stopped Hannah quickly.  Now what do we do?  We are on a small road and we won’t fit in the tunnel.   And what if we get beyond this tunnel and there is another one even shorter.  Why wasn’t anything posted on the road showing low clearance ahead? 

Now, I should have photographed this but I was busy risking my life to stop any traffic coming through the tunnel as Spouse put the truck in 4WD and climbed over the itsy bitsy shoulder and turned, and backed, turned and backed nearly jackknifing, then got to the other side of the road and crawled up the mountain a bit before he was able to get Hannah turned around.  He was sure he was going to bust out our back window of the truck because of the angle he had to be in to complete the turn, but he did it!  Time to change our underwear… Crisis averted!

Back down to the town of Cherokee, we headed east on Hwy 19.  It is a bit mountainous as we pass Maggie City, which has a ski area.  We have skied the Rockies and Sierras so those are big kid mountains.  This might be better than nothing but I can’t imagine it is exciting skiing.  On we go.  It is a scenic drive with little mountain shops, and nice views.  We get to Waynesville and I show Spouse our next road. 

After lunch, we head south on Hwy 276, passing through old town Waynesville with its cute city center.  Cozy for driving with Hannah but as long as we didn’t have to make a turn, it will work.  The road turns rural with farms, churches with their white steeples poking through the trees, and gentle ups and downs and lefts and rights.  Until it wasn’t so gentle.  The terrain turned more mountainous, with hairpin turns,  and branches dangling down.  Spouse was stressing over the branches.  It wasn’t that bad, but I betcha Hanna kissed a couple of leaves here and there.  We climbed, we turned, Spouse stressed… we passed the Blue Ridge Parkway and the 13’9” inch bridge which almost sent Spouse into convulsions, then we started down, twisting and turning.  Spouse told me to find another road as he didn’t like this.  Sure, let me whip a different road out of my butt…  Sorry Spouse, unless we come to another unpassable bridge, this is how we are going.  And it turned out just fine!  It leveled out and got more reasonable.  From my standpoint, I really enjoyed the scenery!  But he was done. 

We found an RV park in the town of Brevard.  When we pulled in, the sites looked very close together, but once we got to our site, there really was some room.  A little creek runs behind Hannah.  There is no real charm here, but we are only spending the night so we will get over it.

Now, I know the Dodgers are playing in Atlanta, and we could have made a game, but Spouse didn’t want to.  Imagine that!  Killjoy… 

No comments:

Post a Comment