Thursday, July 21, 2011

Back to California

























































Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I loved going to sleep with the sound of the surf pounding in the background. But then... snore, snore, snore! I pushed, I nudged, I kicked... my earplugs drowned the pounding surf sounds, but did not drown the snores! I could either smother my spouse, or I needed to move. The boys are now in my snore refuge, so I grabbed a sleeping bag, climbed over the boys and went outside. I have a banana chair specifically for this purpose, so I made my bed and crawled in. The night was cloudless and the stars sang to me. And the surf pounded. And it was cold but I was cozy and I drifted off. When I woke, it was daylight and there did not appear to be any clouds! It was still cold so I went inside and Spouse started whining about how cold he was. What nerve!

We got up, and got the boys up for a walk on the beach. My fingers are still sore from our agate hunt, but today, maybe some driftwood will find its way home. We left the RV park, crossed hwy 101 (Frogger anyone?) and found our way to the beach. I went into my own gait which essentially left the guys behind. The sand was soft without the rocks in Agate-land. Except occasionally a rocky area would crop up... and I gave an eye, picking up an agate or two as well as some pretty pebbles. After about a mile and a half, I started back higher on the beach in the driftwood zone. Sure enough, right off the bat, I see a rather large stump that I just have to have! Great, I have a long way to go and I have this huge piece of wood I need to lug all the way back! Why couldn't I find this towards the end of my walk? Oh well, I perch 'little stumpy' on my hip like a human toddler and started back. But human toddlers kind of hold on. Stumpy just hung there so I had to reposition him every now and again. The extra weight had me sinking in the sand. This, of course, made it so easy to walk... NOT!

I still had the ability to carry some smaller pieces. I guess I wanted to make my walk as awkward as possible. I did find a few attractive small pieces and I had them join the crew. Then I got the 'opportunity' to lug my bounty up a sand dune, then run across hwy 101 (don't drop anything!) and schlep it back to Hannah. Spouse and the boys found some pieces too, but left them off the highway... going the wrong way... but we fetched them later.
I showered while the boys washed the truck. We readied Hannah for her southward journey. The coastline continued to offer total eye candy. But alas, it must come to an end and we cross back into California. We come in to Crescent City, and we are back to strip malls. Oh goody... We pulled in to the marina so we could make lunch. This marina really took a hit with the Japanese earthquake in March. The ensuing tsunami essentially sucked the water out of the marina, then put it back with such force that the water trashed so many of the boats and docks causing millions of dollars of damage. But for us, it just looked like a pretty harbor.
Since Spouse has done almost all of the driving, I offered to drive the next leg. I really haven't towed too much with the new truck and wouldn't you know, I picked one helluva highway to learn. Narrow roads bordering on towering cliffs, ups and downs, people riding my behind... I am not sure Spouse got much of a rest! But I sure did learn how to use the jake brake! We switched in Eureka, then continued south into the Humboldt Redwoods.
Redwood forests are phenomenal. Not only are the thousand year old trees magnificent, but all of the undergrowth offers the ultimate complement. Ferns, redwood sorrel (like a clover) and ivies line the redwood mulched floor. If we only had more time... we ended up in a campground in Redcrest, right in the midst of the redwood forest. Here is where the 'immortal tree' lives. It is about 1600 years old and has weathered fires, lightening and loggers.

We just might have to get a wee hike in tomorrow before we head down to San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment