Monday, July 11, 2011

Bye Spouse!







By the way, the zebra wood bench up top was only $2400! But it is much more beautiful in person...





Monday, July 11, 2011

Today is getaway day for Spouse. And since we were going in that direction, I thought I would take the boys up to the artsy town of La Conner. The town is about 60 miles north of Seattle and on one of the many inlets of the Puget Sound. There is a cute waterfront area with restaurants and shops along the water and it is very picturesque. The town holds special meaning to Spouse and me as this was a favorite place when we brought our boat (Playcation) to the area with our dear friend Bob, who has since passed away.

The weather is somewhat cloudy and cool. As we take Spouse to the airport, he tries to take a picture of Mt. Rainier. It looks like a Mt. Rainier sandwich with clouds hiding both the top and the bottom, but the middle is boldly displayed. He lines it up, oops! he turns the camera off. He did ultimately get the shot. We drop him off, then head north. It is about 10 am and the traffic going through Seattle is still sllllooooowwww, but we finally make it through. As we pass the city of Everett, the snowy Cascades rise above us. There are fields of grapevines and corn and other crops and they really do create a stunning landscape.

We finally make our turn and head into La Conner. It is still as cute as ever, but there were not a whole lot of people. Although I saw a Thai restaurant that I would have really liked to patronize, they do not serve burgers so I knew the boys would be starving so we ate at burger place on the waterfront, where I could at least get a salmon burger. They gave Bart water and a biscuit so he was happy. The food was good.

I asked about one of the stores that I liked, as I noticed it was missing. Good Kitty, Bad Kitty was the name, and it sold cat stuff (duh!). But the proprietor's husband died, and she closed the shop. But the other shops I liked were still there. There are a few galleries with striking watercolors, but my favorite is the wood store. The wood store has all sorts of very unique and high end wood products, from chairs, to tables, to chessboards and jewelry boxes. I watched as a couple spent over $22,000! The craftsmanship on the items is phenomenal and the various types of woods really catch ones eye. Crew and Dallas were quite impressed too. Dallas instantly went to the puzzle boxes, finding the key easily and taking them apart and putting them together. It took a while but I finally pulled myself out of the store and moseyed on. Many of the stores have water bowls out for dogs, so Bart was testing them all. His favorite was in front of the pet store. Imagine that!

When all done, we boarded ourselves back into the truck and headed home. I was soooo sleepy. Dallas and Crew nodded out real quick. I may have too, but I ultimately got us back home as it started to rain. We then reveled in our leftovers from Mary's yesterday!

Spouse got to Alaska safely. May the salmon and halibut gods bless his fishing pole...

No comments:

Post a Comment