Sunday, September 7, 2014

September 5, 2014 From one marina to another


Friday September 5, 2014

Dig, dig, dig...  I am the best... dig, dig, dig.  I do the best bury job.  Dig, dig, dig.

 Woke up early.  Spouse wanted to walk so we took a trail along the marina and watched the sun rise.  Arnprior is a quaint little town about 60 km west of Ottawa.  I would say the population is less than 5000.  The main street is all of 3 blocks long.  But the tendrils reach out a wee ways.  Since we were not in an RV park, we decided to get coffee on the road.

 

We stopped at a Tim Horton's.  There are gazillions of them around the east and they are always busy in the mornings.  Burger King just bought them last week.  They boast about their coffee (and it was very good) and that their food is fresh.  They have an assortment of donuts and egg sandwiches.  The food was good, but this is not my thing.  At least I can say I tried it.


On to hwy 17 west - the trans Canadian highway.  I have to say this about the Canadian drivers.  When they pass you, they get back over in front of you as soon as they can.  In other words, they give you one inch of room.  That includes truckers too.  It is nerve wracking.  Outside of that, the scenery is spectacular.  You feel that you are up in the mountains, but you really aren't.  It is alpine in appearance, pine trees, lakes and streams.  At one point, we pull over into a picnic area.  The Canadians have fabulous picnic areas that really take advantage of the topography and views.  We are in a secluded area with a lake.  I take Rudy for a walk.  Spouse goes to use the facilities.  While he was gone, a moose comes out of the yonder woods, goes into the water and swims across the cove coming out into the woods on the other side.  I yell for Spouse, to no avail.  He finally comes out and I tell him what I saw.  Hmmm... I never did see Spouse AND the moose at the same time...  What could that mean?

 
 
 
 



Onward we go, continuing on hwy 17.  The Ottawa River runs alongside us.  In French, it is the Outaouais River.  How is that for a Wheel of Fortune word!  Pat, I would like to buy a vowel.  I would like an E.  Oh, I am so sorry, there are no E's.  You lose a turn.  

 In any event, there are gazillions of tributaries and little lakes along the way.  We pass North Bay and the large Nipissing Lake.  It is raining now.  We head towards Sudbury.  Here is where Samaaaaantha did us wrong once again.  She told us where there was a gas station, so we took the road that bypasses Sudbury.  When we got to the gas station, it wasn't there.  Really?  We had enough gas to make it another 50 miles or so, but the point is, she is a witch.
 

We were going to stay at one of Samaaaantha's RV parks, but we saw a sign on the side of the road and followed it.  Spouse wanted a view of the water, and since we are going along the north channel of Lake Huron, there ought to be a view.  And we got a great one!  It kind of reminds me of being on the Sacramento Delta.  Although we are near a large body of water, there are little islands close to shore which make it seem like we are on a slough.  Rudy likes it here; lots to chase.

 
 
 
 

I have to say that the ride from Ottawa to here has been inspiring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment