Tuesday, September 9, 2014

September 9, 2014 The cripple leading the crippled


Tuesday September 9, 2014

 I missed being Thunderpaws yesterday.  I must make up for it today.  Not only will I run and jump, I will claw things till the humans let me out.  Then I will purr.

What a beautiful night last night.  Through my bedroom window, I saw a full moon shining on the lake, with the water shimmering below.  Every time I woke up, I looked outside to the various phases of the night, and all were beautiful.  But I didn't dare take out the earplugs to listen to the waves...  I couldn't let the snoring in...

 

Houston, we have a problem... while we were readying Hannah, Spouse could not get her to lift her front end to attach her to the trailer.  He had to manually crank her up (he is now buff!).  He got her attached.  What is wrong?  Dr. Brown probes, thinks, looks.  I can see the smoke rising from his brains.  He ultimately tightens a battery cable.  He thinks this is the problem but won't know until we run a while and see if it is charging.  So, we had been contemplating continuing west to Winnipeg, then south, but we thought it better to head south to the US.  There is a Camping World near Minneapolis, and we need a new window and a this and a that too. 

 

It starts to rain.  Will our temporary window hold?  We still have a few dollars Canadian, so we put it to use by buying gas.  We get several beautiful views of the lake, and once we get onto hwy 61, we see some of the most beautiful scenery on the trip.  There are rocky buttes that are heavily wooded, with meadows and wildflowers still in bloom.  We didn't have our camera handy, but I don't think it would have done any justice to the scenery anyhow.  As we approach the border at Grand Portage, Minnesota, the road construction is horrendous.  We can see the border crossing, but we are stuck... Finally we can go, we cross the Pigeon River and re-enter the US without incident.  We are now on Central time.

We decide to stop to eat in Hannah.  There is an old fort here and it is part of the National Park Service.  We take a hiking trail to the top.  It is only 1/2 mile up, but it is pretty steep.  Spouse is pretty good for a while, then the whining begins.  He makes it this time.  I wasn't really prepared for a real hike.  I only had my Tevas on but they held ok.  The summit had breathtaking views of Lake Superior.  We hiked down to the fort, where Spouse joined a tour.  I went to the visitor center. 

 
 
 
 


This town was a major part of the fur trade in the late 1700's and early 1800's.  Canoes were used to ferry goods down the Pigeon River until they had to be portaged the final 8 miles to the fort, where they could go out onto the lake.  The ojibwe, French and English all happily co-existed.  Then those pesky people from the new United States changed the border north of Grand Portage and the trade was moved up to Thunder Bay.  Can we ever leave things alone...  There was a great movie I watched... then I tried to get up and leave... What's this?  OW!  Oh Crap!!!  Seems like I strained a groin muscle.  I am walking like Frankenstein.  OW!

 
And when Spouse gets back, he is nearly crippled!  What a fine pair we are!  But Rudy is good...  Since we spent so much time at the Fort area, we decided to stay right down the street at an RV park at a marina.  I would love to go look at it and maybe rock hunt, but I can't walk... oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment