Saturday, August 13, 2016

Friday, August 12, 2016 FORE!


Friday, August 12, 2016
I must position myself in the geographical center of the bed, even if it means making my humans move.  Move him this way, and her that way... got it.  Purrrrr.
My morning walk was 9 holes of golf with Jake and Lynn at the Alpine Meadows golf course in Enterprise, about 6 miles away.  Jake and Lynn need to head home (Phoenix) afterwards, and we need to get Hannah out of her spot by noon.  They open at 8, and we were there, ready to tee off.
It is a decent course, regulation size but only 9 holes.  They have different tee boxes so if you play 18, you play from a different set of tees on your second round.  There were some challenging holes and some evil greens.  We all walked with their pull carts.  My handle kept coming off... Note to Spouse:  I will be using my own cart on future trips...  The mountains offer stunning views.  Deer watch us as we play, as do quail, herons and what looks to be a grouse.  We hear a moo moo here, and whinney whinney there, and even a baa baa out there.  It starts out chilly, but soon I am switching to sandals, and shortening my capris to shorts level.  It was a very nice round even though I did NOT get a hole in one, and my score kind of sucked, thanks to the last hole.





We said our goodbyes and got back to Hannah and readied her and ourselves for our next journey.  We headed the few miles west on 82, then turned north on 3 passing through expanses of hayfields that have been harvested.  The grooves of the harvest coincide with the topography forming a patchwork quilt effect on the landscape.  Pine trees start appearing, then we are in a pine forest.  The next thing we know, we are on top of a ridge overlooking Chief Joseph Canyon.  What a view!  Who knew this neck of the woods was so amazingly beautiful!

As we continued north, we were amazed at how quickly the topography would change from a lush, piney forest, to a rugged, brown brushy mountain.  We descend a very steep grade for several miles crossing into Washington.  After we pass the Grande Ronde River, we begin the steep ascent up the grade.  Forest, then brown.  Forest then brown.  At the top of the grade, more hay farms with the mountains on the horizon.  All in all, it was a very pretty ride, albeit pretty slow.  It took us nearly 2 hours to go about 75 miles.  After one more steep descent, we arrive in Lewiston, Idaho.
We have the GPS set for some town somewhere just to get in the area we want, but she takes us some weird way through the airport, through the town, and on some pretty back roads.  Sometimes I just don't trust her.
We decided to settle in Winchester for the night at the state park.  Not really our style.  It is pretty, piney and has electricity and water, should be great, right?  Little too close for me, although we did get a decent site.
But we stopped to get fishing licenses...  We both had one last year so it should be easy, right?  Spouse got his, no problem.  She puts my driver's license in and the machine pukes.  So, we add my stuff manually.  It says my SSN is already in the system.  Wait, you couldn't find it to pull my stuff, yet it is already there?  How can that be?  I HATE technology sometimes!  We are tired, we are hungry... this will have to wait till tomorrow!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment