Thursday, August 18, 2016

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 Over the rainbow


Wednesday, August 17, 2016

 My humans move me from the big house that moves to the little house that moves, then back, then forth.  Don't they get it?  I don't want to be bothered.  I will fix them.  Next time they move me into the big house that moves, I will hide under the bed where they can't get me.  Ha!  They saw me and left!  I fixed them...  Wait, the big house is moving!  I don't think I like this!

What's that smell?  Could it be?  Fresh air?  The clouds are not orange!  The wind has shifted!  No forest fire here!  YAY!  The creek at our campsite is too rapid for fishing so we decided to hike back to the hot creek.  Spouse availed himself of the bathhouse, while I just hiked around.  Spouse totally enjoyed his soak.


We got back to Hannah and readied her.  It is only 40 miles to Stanley... if we make it that far.  From this point on, we know there are a whole lot of tiny campgrounds that have fishing holes.  We make it a grand total of maybe 20 miles before we turned into the Bull Trout Campground.  Down the dirt road for about 2 miles, there are small lakes along the way.  At the campground itself, there are a couple of lakes and we are the ONLY ones here.  We see that there are reservations on some of the sites for the weekend, so we know people really do come here,  but for now, we own the place and pick a huge site by a dock on the lake. 

It is early afternoon, too early to fish, so we get the bikes and ride around.  There was a sign that said there was no turnaround for RVs so we thought we would check it out.  The road goes around more campsites that hug another lake.  It is absolutely beautiful.  We see one tent, but no people.  It is deserted here!  We tried to talk to the camp host.  Their site is all set up but there was nobody there.  TWILIGHT ZONE!





It is kind of cloudy, so I am thinking that the fish might think it is dusk.  So, I get my pole and proceed to totally entangle myself in fishing line.  Ok, let's try this again.  Got it... I am trying a lure.  Spouse readies a pole with bait and off we go.  I am on the dock, and Spouse is on the shore.  We cast, we cast, we cast.  Spouse lost his bait and figured he would fish later.  I kept on... until... I CAUGHT ONE!  A rainbow trout!  SPOUSE!!!!  Come get it!  Guess what I had for dinner...  Of course, Spouse cleaned it and he cooked it for me...  I am a bit wimpish...

I got a few more hits then it started to rain and I came back to Hannah.  Then the thunder started.  OOOOH, I love thunderstorms.  And it is raining!   

Then the oddest thing happened.  The people from the other campground - with their own lake - came over to fish OUR lake!  On OUR dock!  Really?  What is that all about?  Since they were catching fish with bait, I thought I would switch over.

Ok, so here it goes...  first tie the swivel on.  Wrap the line at least 7 times.  Yes, that tiny, thin, clear line... wrap it once, twice, thrice - get off my finger you mosquito!  You and your kind have been attacking me no end!  How many times did I wrap?  Again, again... is that enough?  Better do a few more, now pull.  Wow, that is tough.  Now tie the leader on, which is even thinner line...  Then the hook... oops, got my finger... oops, it is in my shirt!  I caught myself!  I think you get the picture.  An experienced angler I am not!  But I got the job done.    We both went back out.  I got a few hits, but didn't land them, and Spouse caught one.  I did catch a log.  It ate my hook.  Time to quit for the night.

The foreigners told us the reason why the campground is deserted is due to the wildfire.   I found it odd, as we lit a fire in the firepit, that we were overwhelmed with smoke on the way over here, and now we are intentionally lighting a fire so we can enjoy the smoke and smell and warmth.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment