Thursday, August 18, 2016

Sunday, August 14, 2016 Naked to the world


Sunday, August 14, 2016

My humans have me in a place that I like.  I see others of my kind.  I must keep them from my humans.  I will not share. 

We started the day by doing a little fishing in the Clearwater River right behind us.  After a few casts, I 'donated' my lure to the rock gods.  I guess I better go for my walk.  Not much of a walk to speak of, just down the road and back.  But I did see one of the many visitor sites they have throughout the state that have a few signs with historic bits of interest.  And I itch from my many bug bites.  Will I be a Zika victim?  Those beasties went through my clothing!  Argh...

We readied Hannah, and followed the GPS directions south.  I disagree with how she is taking us, but it will work.  Once again, we are on the back roads of a patch work farm quilt!  It is absolutely beautiful.  We then turn on to hwy. 95 south.

We head down the White Bird Grade and stop at another point of historical interest:  Let's just say we really screwed the Nez Perce Indians over!  The grade is 8 miles and supposedly is quite an engineering feat.  Lots of truck runaway brake ramps that go straight up mountains.  At the bottom, we see a sign for Hell's Canyon and the Pittsburg landing.  Alas, we are sidetracked again.  This was the first stop downriver from where we were at the Hells Canyon Dam several days ago. Here, rafters can pull out, or continue on.



Spouse had passed the turnoff  but he turned around and off we go.  We enter the town of White Bird, cross over the Snake River and start to follow the road.  It is clear the road will be a challenge for Hannah, so there is a camp area, and we disconnect her leaving Rudy to keep vigil.  It is warm, but we are sure he will be okay.

The road is 17 miles long (another 17 mile drive, yes?) and it is small, but it is big enough for two cars to pass as long as you are careful.  It starts out paved for about 2 miles, then it is a nicely graded gravel road.  And it climbs along the rolling hills.  And it climbs... More rolling hills with orchards.  And it climbs into the pine forest.  It hugs the hill and there are steep dropoffs.  It climbs.  Did I mention that the road climbs?  Eventually, we reach the top and can see the road snaking down the mountain.  Hairpin turn after hairpin turn.  We pass a truck towing a boat and it is cozy, but there is enough room. The mountain is brown on this side, and we can see the buttes across the river, although we cannot see the river yet.

We work our way down to a small landing area, around the size of Lee's Ferry in Arizona.  Not much there but a nice boat launch ramp, a bathroom, and a kiosk with picnic tables.  And of course, parking.  Spouse has to talk to the rafters that just came down.  The water is cool and it feels good on my feet.  It is about 90 degrees outside and the water is about 68 degrees. 



As we are leaving, we see a sign for an upper landing.  What else do we have to do so we follow the road  around to a tiny parking area.  From there, we walk a hundred feet or so to the beach.  Way yonder we see some boaters on the side, other than that, we are alone.  It is hot... so off come the clothes and into the water we go.  There are some rules of being naked in public... You either have to know somebody REALLY well, or not know them at all.  This fit the bill for us.  My only concern was if the boaters had a harpoon ready for the two white whales in the water!  It is quite chilly - as measure by the 'shrinkage' factor -but very refreshing.  As I am trying to dry naturally, since I had no towel, I hear the sound...  the sound of a big tour boat... I am able to put on a bit of clothing, as does Spouse, but there we are, somewhat exposed to the world when the tour boat full of people cruise by.  I did what any normal person would do when you are not fully clothed... I waved to them!  I am sure they won't recognize me if I run into them in a supermarket!
You can now say you saw me naked!


The ride back was uneventful.  Spouse did stop to pick some of the fruit hanging over a fence.  We thought they were cherries, but they were small, delicious plums.  He can't pass up a freebie...




We got back and hooked up Hannah.  Note to Spouse:  Do NOT put Rudy down thinking he will follow you.  He won't!  Got him.  Let's go.

We decided to stay a few minutes down the road in White Bird at the Swiftwater RV park.  It is right on the Salmon River, but we hear the fishing is not that good.  I am suspecting we need to head over to the other side of the Bitterroot Mountains...  Too hot to stay off the grid... Need air conditioning... Hannah made it about 50 miles today.  Progress...

Darned friggin' bites...  And Spouse, will you CLOSE THE CABINET DOOR??????

No comments:

Post a Comment