Monday, September 12, 2016

Friday, September 9, 2016 The Great Basin and the Lehman Caves


Friday, September 9, 2016
When I am in the little house that moves, I sleep.  I slept a lot yesterday.
Our morning walk took us through a farm with soy and corn.  We can see mountains on the horizon.  Spouse heads back and I keep walking.  I come upon a huge river, I think the Sevier.   It is big enough to have navigation buoys on it. 

I have cleaned my camera lens... 3 days later!

Getting back, we ready Hannah for her trip to the Great Basin.  Let's face it... once we get past the few farms in Delta, the ride is downright boring.  We are headed to Baker, Nevada.  It looks like we could be driving to Baker, California.   It is brown and boring.  At one point, we see the Sevier Lake Bed.  White and boring.  We come upon a mountain pass.  YAY!  After a few miles of that - the summit being 6280 feet - we dip back into a boring valley - the Snake Valley.  A hundred miles later, we get to Baker.    The only thing it's got going for it is that it is at the base of the Great Basin.
We stop at the Visitor Center and get a map and get RV recommendations.  They point us to the lower Lehman campground.  And did we get there in the nick of time.  A flock of wild turkeys greeted us upon our arrival.  There are only a handful of sites - all of them cozy for RVs.  Our living room slider has some thorny bush hugging it right now!  But we have a creek running through our site.  It isn't the most level site we have ever had, but suitable nonetheless. No sooner do we set up when other RVs come cruising through... the water sites are taken, and within a few minutes, the other sites were taken too.  I wonder if this is a weekend thing.  We are so far from anywhere, do people come here for the weekend?
I had been happy to put shorts back on, but now, it is borderline cool/warm.  We head out to tour the Lehman Caves.  Ok, I am not part bat... caves are not what I hunt out, but when they are there, I go see them.  And this cave was well worth seeing!  The formations inside were beyond fabulous!  None of the vandalism that we saw in the Minnetonka cave earlier in the week.  This cave was incredible.  My neck is sore from looking up, then over my shoulder.  I kept bumping into people as I turned around to see things from the other side.  Columns, stalagmites, stalagtites, heliotites, bacon, curtains, popcorn, shields... So much of it was in pristine condition, it was overwhelming. Randi ranger was a little too perky for me, but she gave a good tour.  This was truly a treat.  We weaved our way through narrow corridors.  We had to duck our heads.  There were growths in every crack and crevasse.  The only down side was that I followed Spouse up the stairs at one point while he was farting all the way... It could have cleared out the entire cave... The noxious cloud followed him...  I ditched him!



















Afterwards, we went exploring the Grey Cliffs area.  You got it... named after the grey cliffs in the area.  There are some caves that are supposedly closed... Do we call on our inner bats and explore them while we are here?   hmmmm...

We continued on the dirt road past the caves and the trail head... past a family of mule deer... past the boundary of the national park... ok, what have we got us into this time?  Which fork in the road do we make?  We ended up at somebody's ranch with a closed gate... not going to do us much good... Can we go back so I can have my vodka tonic?  And that is what we did.
Vodka tonic and a campfire... All is good!  And what a night sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment