Monday, September 12, 2016

Saturday, September 10, 2016 The Bristlecone Forest


Saturday, September 10, 2016

What gives?  My humans are not letting me out when I beg them!  They are IGNORING me!  I will teach them.  I will go lay on the bed and give them stinkeye.  My maternal human came and rubbed my belly and I didn't even turn on my purr box.  I will teach them...

This morning's walk was actually a hike.  There is a 12 mile scenic drive up the mountain to a series of trailheads.  Our campsite is at about 7300 feet.  The trailheads start at about 10,000 feet.  If you hike to the Mt. Wheeler summit, you will be at 13,000 feet.  We opted for the Bristlecone trail.

We packed a lunch and started the ascent.  It is a soft forest path, then there are lots of rocks.  It is fairly easy, but any time you start at 10,000 feet, you need to go slow.  Altitude sickness is no fun and we wanted to enjoy the day.  It is a forested trail with scenic vistas of the Snake Valley below.  The Snake Valley looks so much prettier from up here.  The surrounding mountains are covered in pines and aspens in various stages of fall colors.  It is absolutely beautiful.  The temperature is probably in the 60's which is quite comfortable for hiking.

It is about a mile and a half up the trail to the bristlecones.  This forest has trees over 3000 years old that are still alive.  They live in harsh conditions - sometimes no water, brutal winds, snow.  They grow in amazing twists and turns.  I would love to mount orchids and tillandsias on these puppies!  Even ones they think are dead, turn out to send up new growths.  They are incredible specimens of the test of time.












Continuing on, we hiked to the glacier overlook.  As a rock hound, I didn't know if I was in hog heaven or the depths of hell.  We are hiking in a glacial moraine where gazillions of rocks have been pushed aside for the glacier to do what it has to do.  These rocks, actually boulders, are fabulous!  I can see every one of them in the lapidary shop, except for one thing...  They are huge!  Can I sneak one into Spouse's backpack?  Do you think he would notice this tiny 100 pounder?  As it was, I put a few in my backpack and my waistpack. Then we get to hike down...  over the rocks... over the tree roots... with rocks hanging all over my body.  Definitely an 'I Love Lucy' moment...  We did take a little side trip to look at Teresa Lake.  Or should I say pond...  When I got back to Jack and took off my pack, I had trouble walking. My legs didn't know what to do without the extra weight of the rocks!  It was pretty weird!  Who knows what will become of these rocks, but for now, they are mine.  Shhhh, don't tell anybody...

Tonite, we are going to the astronomy presentation at the visitor center.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment