Tuesday, August 16, 2022

August 13, 2022 Gorging in more ways than one

 

August 13, 2022  Royal Gorge

I keep watching the critter that throws things at us.  I think he is not alone.  I want them both.  I like it here.  My humans walk me all over so I get to sniff different things.



Before my walk, I bade farewell to Jake and Lynn as they continue their journey.  After my morning walk, Kathy and Brian piled into our truck and we headed east on Hwy 50 towards the city of Canon City.  We followed the GPS…  I want to slap that broad upside the head.  She had us turn up a road…  a road to who knows where…  she then changed her mind and that went to nowhere.  Brian was able to get cell service and route us appropriately.  She then changed her mind and agreed with Brian.  I hate that broad!  I suspected she was lying when we did not see any signs for the Royal Gorge.  Since that is a tourist attraction, we knew there would be signs, right?

Once on the right road we got to the gorge and the huge suspension bridge which spans across.  It is a big deal and it is a park with lots of entertaining things.  The bridge is 1000+ feet above the gorge, and spans about 1000 feet.  You can look between the wooden slats down the 1000 feet to see rafters floating down the Arkansas river.  They are looking at us, and we are looking at them.  Shhh, don’t tell anyone…  my spouse once peed off the Golden Gate Bridge…  I asked if he had the same urge here… No, he said.  Hmmmm…! 











There are few viewpoints that jut above the gorge. There is a theater showing the history, shows, ziplining, a gondola, and a type of bungee thing that catapults you over the gorge then you bounce around.  I wanted to do that so bad but it was at least 1 ½ hours of waiting, if not more… in the sun.  It was not meant to be…  Kathy wanted no part of the high stuff, but Brian, Spouse and I hopped on the gondola for the ride back.  As a skier, it was no big deal, but it was pretty.  I wanted that bungee… oh that looked fun!

But think about it… this bridge, which was once the highest suspension bridge in the world,  goes to nowhere.  What a gimmick!

We then headed into Canon City for lunch.  We saw a billboard advertising a restaurant ‘the Lost Cajun’ so we found it!  OMG it was good!  It is a chain restaurant and has a nice funk appeal.  They brought us a sample tray…  great sales pitch… sold a lot of that wonderful lobster bisque as well as more.  Reasonably priced, we read where they are opening one in Rancho Cucamonga…  could that be any closer to Thousand Oaks???   NOT!  Might as well drive here to Colorado!



When we got back to Hannah, we so enjoyed sitting outside watching the river go by.  Lots of fisherman, but not lots of fish!  Fun to watch anyway.  Rudy loves walking around but wouldn’t get too close to the water.  He has been watching Guido, the rat bastard squirrel.  I think Guido is not alone.  Shavings in the cocktails as we played Rummikub.  As soon as Rudy went inside Hannah, Guido came down and made a run away from us around the neighbor’s trailer…  Coward!

No comments:

Post a Comment