Sunday, August 10, 2014

August 10, 2014 Beaners on the Loose


Sunday August 10, 2014

 Wow!  What were those big crawlie things my paternal human showed me?  Am I supposed to eat them?  Or do I just play with them?

 This may not be my favorite RV park, but it is my favorite morning walk area.  Turn right and after about a quarter mile, the tidal marshes start.  Wild flowers such as wild roses and yarrow pop through the grasses.  Another quarter mile or so I pass the Clambake restaurant then come to the beach.  The seas are calm, it is warm and the tide must be out as there is lots of nice hard wet sand on which to walk.  From here, I can see the Scarborough beachfront hotels and cottages.   The land curves around into a spit, forming a cape.  It is beautiful and invigorating.


When I saw a man shore fishing, I talked to him and his wife.  They are from Quebec and gave me all sorts of information on Nova Scotia.  I hope I can find some of the treasured places that they told me about.

With the new morning, we are more optimistic about the RV park.  Sure, in the day they don't have live entertainment in the pavilion!  But being rested sure helps deal with that which we don't like. 

 After cleaning up, we headed to Cape Elizabeth to have lunch with my friend Paula.  I worked with Paula at Wellpoint.  She was laid off about 5 years ago and decided not to go back to work.  We had good Thai food (needed a break from shellfish!) and caught up on each other's trials and tribulations.

 

Then off to Freeport, and the flagship L.L. Bean store.  We pass through the waterfront area of Portland.  It is a good mix of restaurants and a working harbor.  The buildings are old and have lots of character, but the area is clean and very active.

 As for L.L. Bean, we were here about 30 years ago, and I was here about 10 years ago. It is all things sporting goods.  It is fun to looks at stuff, but at this point in our lives we don't need anything.  And as for clothes, they either don't have my size, or they seem to think I am 6 foot 6 inches tall.  I think they have gone to the dark side; made in China, Taiwan, Peru, etc.  But to come to this area and not go to L.L. Bean, I think the sporting good police would come after us, so we got that out of our system.  And Spouse did get a new wallet at another store down the street.  Oh wait, I did get a piece o sugar free chocolate.  We supported the Maine economy!

 


On our way back, we noticed that the tide must be out.  Where there was water on the way up, there was dirt and puddles on the way down.  There must be some mean tidal swings here.

There is a super moon tonite... keep your pants on...

No comments:

Post a Comment