Monday, August 18, 2014

August 16, 2014 I love shellfish


Saturday August 16, 2014

 I am Thunderpaws,  king of the morning.  I run, I fly, I jump - oh wait, I need to clean my paw.  Ok, where was I?

 The skies are gray but it is dry outside.  After my walk, we ready Hannah for departure.  We head east on hwy 1, then turn onto hwy 114.  All along the way, there is open space.  Rolling hills in all shades of lush greens, woods with pines, birch, wild apples and beech.   There are still wildflowers blooming in yellows, purples, whites and pinks.  There are farm buildings, there are logging operations, there is very little in the way of towns.  Hwy 114 takes us to Fundy National Park.  Here this are lakes, streams and heavily wooded areas.  It is quite beautiful.  The roads are not always so nice.  Eventually, the Bay of Fundy comes back into view.  We come to the town of Alma.  It is a tiny fishing town with just a few shops and restaurants.



 

The tide is out and the boats in the small harbor are sitting totally out of the water.  I walk out quite a bit to look at rocks and scrounge around.  I could have spent hours scrounging through the rocks.  I completely forgot that I was hungry, but I figured I better go find Spouse.  That was easy as he found people to talk to.  We went to lunch at Alma's Boathouse.  Shellfish is so inexpensive here.  I had an appetizer of mussels in a lobster broth for $12.95 and there were probably 40 mussels.  Spouse had a clam chowder that was beyond delicious, and we split a lobster roll.  Oh my...


 

Gastrically satisfied, we continue on hwy 114 north towards Moncton.  The scenery is beautiful and eventually, the Bay of Fundy comes into view.  It is brown.  With changing tides, so much mud is moved that the bay changes to the color of chocolate.  We are hoping to get to the viewing area to watch the tide change.  High tide is at 5:07, but we really needed to be there by about 2:30 to watch the actually changing of the tides.  So we missed it.  Oh well, we will be heading back this way so ...

Then on to the RV park... Spouse, it says it is an RV Resort.  It is Good Sam approved and only has 100 spaces.  But it is a resort...  So off we go... There is road construction and lots of detours.  Samaaaaantha is having a meltdown.  We get there...  Spouse, I told you it is an RV Resort.  Next time remind me we don't like resorts.  Yes dear.  At least here they put us away from all the action and it is quite nice.  And it is only for the night so it should be no big deal.   But you have to pay extra for WIFI?  Really?  I don't think so...

Road signs are in both English and French.  We switched Samaaaaantha to the metric system.  Her French is pretty bad.  For instance, the word 'chemin' is pronounced (excuse my lack of accurate diacritic marks)  she-min'  (accent on the last syllable).  She pronounces it Ke'-min (like chemist).  Then she butchers every other part too so we have to be en garde to follow a route she has for us.  Then watching spouse figure out gas mileage... comical.  Oh, we are less than 4 meters tall so you don't have to jump at every bridge!

 Tomorrow, we head for Halifax, Nova Scotia.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment