Friday, September 11, 2015

La creme de la creme

September 10, 2015

Hey, it is not light yet.  Why are my humans getting up?  I need more cuddle time!

Today starts with the alarm clock at 5:30.  Actually, we were both awake before the alarm.  Today we are playing the exclusive Coeur d'Alene resort course.  It is one of the premiere courses in the entire country, known for its 'floating island green'.   We are to check in at the gate at 6:30 for practice.  (We thought about giving our friends' names (Kurt and Karl) just to have some fun, but we behaved!)  We have a shotgun start at 7:30.  (A shotgun start is that everyone starts at the same time, just at different holes).  We started at hole 7, finishing on hole 6.

This is the jewel in the crown of our 4 days of golf; the coup de grace; the cherry on the sundae.  It is a wonderful opportunity and we are both pretty excited to be able to do this.

It is a chilly morning, 48, but it is supposed to get up to 80.  So I compromised.  Too cold for shorts, too hot for long pants, 3/4 pants will work.  I golf in sandals and the grass is wet, thus my feet are wet.  Oh well...

Our first glance at the floating green is pretty amazing.  It is hole 14 but you have to walk by it to go to the practice range.  Today it is 154 yards to the pin for the guys, 106 for us.  I don't believe that for a second... it is going to play a lot longer than 106.   But, that is later.  For now, the practice range is calling - here you purposely hit your balls in the water!  Of course, every ball I hit is good...  I am doomed on the course!
















The caddy for our foursome is Shane.  We head to our hole.  Shane has the girls teeing off the mauve tees.   I am thinking we should be using the copper tees.  Turns out - after we played the entire round - we should have played the copper tees.  Darn!  The scorekeepers can adjust our scores for it, but I just wish  we had it right.  It screws up all the side games.  ugh...  Many of the mauve and copper tees were together so it would not make a difference, I would say 8 or 9 were separate, but they go according to the scorecard, so , we are essentially screwed.  My perfect day has a blemish.  Actually, it is a pretty big ZIT! Oh well...

I started out like I never played golf before.  My left arm is so sore from yesterday's round where I taught the ground some hard lessons.  It took about 5 holes for that to loosen up.  Then I started hitting the ball.  Except on the infamous hole 14...  Spouse - who is the lousiest golfer - was the only one to make it on the moveable green on his first try!  Go figure!  I did hit a second shot, and made it.  It actually cost me strokes, but I figure I will probably only play this course once, might as well use the extra swing, rather than use the easy drop on the green that would assure me a good score!  Another zit...  How blond is that!   A little boat takes you to the island, then back.  It is really special. 









The course is beautiful.  There is enough challenge to make it fun, but not defeating.  I even hit my irons well today, after they killed me the first couple of holes...  COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!  I think I found my issue.  Will I remember it tho...  We had lunch on the patio afterwards above the lake, enjoying the view.  I didn't want the day to end.  I would play it again in a heartbeat.  Makes me want to play Pebble Beach...   ka-ching!!!!!  First, I need to give my body a little recovery time...






No comments:

Post a Comment