Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Folks, don't try this at home...

August 31, 2015

Holy Moly! What is that?  My home is moving!  I better use my superfeline powers to break away!  Run!  But not too far...  There is my maternal human.  Come save me!

A cold front came through and the morning was quite chilly.  After leisurely reading, we got the bikes ready for another round of scenic overload.    We went down the same road as yesterday, just a little further.  We saw the geese.  We saw a mama bald eagle in the nest.  We saw her mate (presumably) a few trees down.  Another spectacular way to start off the day.




When we got back to Hannah, we started to ready her for departure.  I do the inside, Spouse does the outside.  I feel him backing the truck to hook her up.  The I feel it again... then wham bang!  WTF?    I was knocked all over the place.  What is he doing?  I rushed outside and there I saw it...  Hannah was not hooked to the trailer hitch.  She was resting on the bed of the truck (which is actually a good thing). 

Apparently, Spouse hooked her up, but didn't verify that the hitch was secure.  He raised her front legs, then pulled away and she pulled right of the hitch, with her front end smashing down on the new truck.  Amazingly enough, her crash landing only put a very small bend in the truck bed on both sides.




 A little bit of 'plumber's butt!'


But now comes the million dollar question... how do we raise her high enough to hitch her?  This is ugly.  Oh, where is Rudy?  He was tied up to Hannah and now he is gone!  Has he been playing us for the past two years with his polydactl paws?  Does he really have an opposable thumb?  Spouse calls him, then is overwhelmed with the task at hand.  I call him and see him over two spaces sniffing at the old barn that is there.  He comes right up to me, no cat and mouse games... thank you very much.  I think he was glad to be rescued.  I threw him inside Hannah and I could tell he was nervous.  I realized that he is truly our cat.  He trusts us and feels safe with us.  Awwww....  The poor guy has been traumatized.  This is probably how he lost his first batch of humans.

We got some extra logs and 4x4 pieces of wood.  We have 2 jacks.  We raised, we lowered, we extended the legs.  We did this over and over.  Hannah's underbelly was not happy.  Neither was Rudy.  Hannah is his safe place and now she was moving and making all these strange noises.  Rudy is traumatized.  He tries to purr for me, but it is barely there.  We raise, we lower, we add wood.  We finally got her high enough where we can hitch her up.  At first, the hitch did not cinch.  After a little of this and that, we got the hitch to secure the rig.  I am sooo glad that Spouse was the one to do this and not me!   Ooooh, I would hear about that for years! 

We finally get Hannah and ourselves all ready, and we start to pull away.  That is when I noticed Rudy's collar was funny.  Apparently, Spouse had hooked him to one of his ID tags, and Rudy tugged hard enough to break away.  The metal ring was all warped.  We could not find that ID tag, but he does have his other ID tag for his ID chip.  Time to move on.

It was hard to say goodbye to this place.  Even though the RV park is close to the road, the beauty is beyond description.  I would gladly stay here again.

But, north we go on hwy 93.  The mountains are forested.  We turn, we climb.  We cross the continental divide into Montana.  We see miles and miles of wildfire denuded hills and mountains.  We follow the Bitterroot River. 

We see farms with pastures, a store here and there.  It is pretty, but is not quite the wilderness area from which we just came.  And wouldn't you know it, we smell the smoke form the wildfire du jour.  We decided to check out a campground at Lake Como.  There are two campgrounds, and as it turns out, neither of them are actually on the lake.  But they are both very woodsy.  The upper campground has electricity for RVs, and normally, it has water.  But they are doing repairs due to contamination.  We are good.  Technically, we don't need either, but electricity sure is nice.  The sites are easy for RVs to pull through.  Given that we didn't leave North Fork till about 1pm, we are good making about 60 miles for the day.  Vodka tonic time...

Coeur d'Alene is only 230 miles from here and we have 3 more days to get there.  Hopefully, no more mishaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment