Tuesday, August 22, 2017

August 19, 2017 Save a deer - walk a highway

August 19, 2017

My humans will not let me roam free.  Sheesh, just because I ran a couple of times doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be allowed to go outside.  I will fix them.  I won’t even beg to go outside today.  They will be sorry…

Spouse slept in while I went for a nice walk.  I started out in the woodsy campground, but soon realized this would bore me to death, so out onto the highway I went.  They have really big shoulders on which I can walk till I can cut over to another more quiet street.  And once I did, it was really quite pretty.   Lots of bird houses posted on trees and fence posts.  As I was walking back along the highway, a pretty buck started bounding towards the street.  I screamed and waved my arms!  NO!  Don’t do it!  Apparently, it worked as he stopped and hopped past me, then jumped a fence back towards the meadow.  It will live another day, and some motorist will not be traumatized by hitting this beautiful buck!



Spouse was finally awake when I got back.  After a good breakfast, we headed towards Mt. Rushmore.  We have been there before.  We are quite overwhelmed by all the tourist come ons.  Come to the Bear park, come to the reptile garden, the zip lines, the helicopter rides, the train rides, the roller coaster…  GIVE US YOUR MONEY!  Mt. Rushmore is right outside the town of Keystone.  It is a western tourist town.  The last time we were here, it was September and most of the town was already closed for the season.  This time, the tourists were coming out of the woodwork!  We checked out a glass blowing outfit… beautiful stuff.  The glass blower was acting as if somebody just killed his puppy – Mr. Personality.  The glassworks were stunning but extremely pricey.  As we headed towards Mr. Rushmore, the same gazillion cars that were in line to get into the Devils Tower the other day were now in line to get into the parking lot for Mr. Rushmore.  Uh… never mind.  Let’s just take a photo from the street and move on.  Been there, done that!



We continued on the backroads, leaving the crowds behind.  The Black Hills are absolutely gorgeous.  The pines and rock formations are mesmerizing.  We decided to go to Custer State Park.  Spouse groused at paying $20, but it was so well worth it.  We entered from hwy. 87 near Sylvan Lake.  The rocky spires form a pathway that is extremely cozy for driving.  A family of mountain goats greeted us as we checked out the Needles Highway.    There is a tunnel to pass through that is wide enough for only one car so you have to wait your turn.  I decided to walk through the tunnel and photograph the truck coming through.  It is only about 100 feet, yet as I got halfway through, those same gazillion cars that were trying to get into Mt. Rushmore started coming through and I had to press myself into this little groove in the granite so that I wouldn’t get crushed!






The highway hairpins around on a tiny road through ‘the needles’, rocky spires that dance around you.  It is breathtaking, and it channels my inner monkey as I climb around in stupid sandals.  I have better shoes in the car, but nooooo, I didn’t change into them.  Climb I did.  I got to one point coming down when I thought my sandals were going to fall right off my feet, but somehow, I managed to get down.




After a stop at the visitor center, we took the wildlife loop.  We leave the pines and the rocky spires behind for the plains. Here, there are antelope, deer, buffalo and the cute little prairie dogs.  When we stopped to look at the buffalos, the prairie dogs serenaded us with their little yips and barks.  I know they are rodents, but they are sooo cute.




Leaving the buffalo, we took a little hike towards a creek.  We thought it was a little hike, but it turned out to be much more and we were not prepared.  Yes, I still had my stupid sandals on, and we had no water, so we just stopped at a lookout point and enjoyed the stream from there.  Besides, we were told there was lots of poison ivy by the stream.  Along the trail, the rocks glistened with pyrite.  Ok, a few might have been relocated…



YIKES!  We need to get back as we have a meeting for the golf tourney!  Food and wine and good folks…  After all, that is the reason for this whole trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment