Monday, August 7, 2017

August 6, 2017 Deer me...

August 6, 2017

I saw this big strange dog yesterday.  Then I saw it again today.  My humans let me out without tying me up, so I took a few steps towards the dog.  It walked towards me.  Ohhh, it is bigger than I thought, so I just froze.  I am a bit of a scaredy cat!  I was ready to run inside, but it didn’t seem mean.  It came a little closer.  I just watched it.  It came and sniffed at me.  I just watched it.  Then it left and one of its friends wanted to get closer to me but was scared.





This morning, we had early coffee outside of Hannah.  The deer that visited us yesterday came by with a friend and a baby.  They were totally intrigued with Rudy.  He just froze and let one of them come right up to him.  She was engrossed with this new critter.  They actually sniffed noses before she walked away.  Several people in the campground took pictures of the exchange.  Our boy… the centerfold!

We then took a hike up the Fremont River Trail.  It is almost a 3 mile roundtrip to a lookout.  It follows the Fremont River (who would figure that out…) along a narrow flat trail, then the climb begins.  The narrow trail crawls up along a ledge with stunning views.  The roar of the red river below is a soothing sound.  About a mile into the trail, it veers away from the river, climbing some more to a lookout point.  The silence is beautiful as is the scenery.  We were alone on top of the world.  Alas, we headed back down.  As we passed one of the many orchards, Spouse picked some more fruit for the deer.

I love the trees along the way.  There are ponderosa pines with their twisted limbs like a bristlecone.  They thrive in harsh conditions… could my backyard be harsh enough?  And then there are ancient cottonwoods with enormous and gnarly trunks.  The stories they could tell…




















We readied Hannah for her next adventure.  We head west on rt. 24 through the town of Bricknell.  This was a Twilight Zone experience…  in the mile and a half drive through the town, we did not see a single human, nor a single moving vehicle.  It was as if the town’s occupants had been zapped up to the mothership! The scenery is beautiful.  It is high plains with farms surrounded by higher plains and mountains.  A sheep farm here, a few buffalo there.  We turned north onto rte. 72.

We almost thought that this couldn’t be the right road as it was so small.  Once we passed the town of Fremont, there was no longer a line delineating the middle of the road.  We were on our honor.  We began to climb up a magnificent plateau through the FishLake National Forest.  It was magical.  It was green and beautiful.  To the west, the plains rose till they hit the sky.  To the east, there were mountains studded with pine trees and plains scrub.  It was wide open and spectacular.  It was open range so we did have to stop a few times for cattle to cross the road.  This is definitely the road less traveled and we loved every moment of it.  Eventually, it turned a bit more mountainous as we approached I70.  This was a true treasure of a find.  This one pegs the WOW-o-meter!







When rte. 72 ended, we crossed I70 on rte. 10 north.  As beautiful as rte. 72 was, this is… not! On the horizon to the west are dramatic buttes.  To the west, the plains rise and disappear into the sky.   It is gray and tan and rather boring.  We pass through a few small towns.  Thankfully, a farm would add some green to the landscape.  This kind of pegged the bore-o-meter.

At the town of Price (no doubt it was named after our friends Vicky and Butch), we had a gourmet lunch (Taco Bell) then north on 6 to 191 north.  Once again, at the start, the road was small, but it got a bit bigger.  We wound though some buttes, which then turned into piney mountains.  The summit is 9,114 feet.  We landed in the city of Duchesne (pronounced ‘du-shayne’) in a cute RV park at Lake Starvation.   Fortunately, it is quite windy, thus the lake is not glassed out.  I hate missing out on primo water skiing…




 For the last few days, we have not had cell service, let alone internet.  And we still don’t have internet.  I will post these blogs one of these days…

No comments:

Post a Comment